EVERYONE WANTS ABS, RIGHT?
Well, the funny thing is that everyone has abs.. we just can’t always see them!
Many people struggle with achieving their desired abs, let alone being able to maintain them. This blog post will act as a short guide to help you take the action needed to achieve your dream physique and REVEAL those beautiful abs that are lying dormant 😉
Personally, I’ve been a skinny person throughout my life, so my abs have always been visible. They were SO WEAK, but they were visible..
This is sometimes referred to as “skinny-guy abs”.
Not until recently have I been able to build actual abdominal muscle mass for myself. I’ve found that it’s much simpler than most people make it out to be.
Whether you’re overweight or underweight, we’re going to break down the three 3 keys to a achieving a noticeable 6-pack.
1) Know how to build abdominal muscles
When it comes to building abdominal muscles and making them stronger, we have to put them under stress.
What kind of stress? ALL KINDS!
When you train your abs, you need to be changing up your routine on a continuous basis. You should always do your best to have a healthy mix the following 3 methods of stress:
- Heavy weight exercises such as weighted sit ups, weighted leg lifts, weight resistant machines, and other exercises that include low reps of heavy weight. This stress will help you reach hypertrophy (the enlargement of an organ or tissue from the increase in size of its cells, also know as “bulking up”).
- Isometric exercises such as leg lift holds, planks and other exercises that involve holding a position under tension. This tension is another way to put our abs under stress without the need of repetitions. One of my favorite exercises for this type of stress is by using a cheap ab roller. These things are great for tension exercises and can be used anywhere.
- Metabolic stress exercises through high rep sets. This stress occurs when you’re under constant tension. So, on day when you don’t want to do heavy weight or isometric exercises, you can focus on doing “burn out” until you simply can’t go further. This can be done with any exercise that you’re able to perform 25+ reps of.
When building muscle, you want to make sure you’re experiencing all three of these forms of stress with your abs. This will streamline the process.
Now that you know how to build them, let’s figure out how to get them to show..
2) Know how to get your abs to show
Even when people are doing everything right when it comes to building abdominal muscles, most people find it hard to see progress. This is usually serves as a demotivator for people, because in reality, their progress is just hidden behind their belly fat.
When it comes to body fat percentage, you’re top abs usually start to become noticeable when you’re down to about 15% body fat. As you get closer to 6%, you should be able to observe more and more of your rectus abdominis (also known as our 6-pack).
Once you realize this, you can stop feeling as if you’re not making progress, because you are!
If you stay consistent and eat whole, plant foods, your body fat percentage will surly make it’s way to the ideal range where your abs will be noticeable.
This NIH study shows that vegans have, on average, the lowest BMI between themselves, vegetarians, fish-eaters, and meat-eaters. So map your diet accordingly if you want to increase your chances of having a healthier BMI in the range of 19-24.
As you can see, a vegan diet will give you the safest and easiest route towards have a lower BMI. If you need any assistance with going vegan, along with the posts on this website, you should check out my Going Vegan e-book on Amazon Kindle. This e-book will prepare you for every aspect of the vegan lifestyle, and that’s an understatement..
However, if you’re already vegan, you can check out my free How To THRIVE on a Vegan Diet e-book to help optimize your diet and allow you to thrive. This will leave your abs with no other choice but to show themselves 😉 haha
3) Know how to maintain your physique
As I discussed above, if you’re eating whole, plant foods, you’ll be setting yourself up for success. You can eat a much higher volume of food due to the low caloric density of plants.
By giving your body what it truly needs, you’ll have no problem with maintaining your progress.
If you’re not able to fully commit to a plant based lifestyle, just make sure to do your best with eating more vegetables and fruits. Just remember that there are substitutes for just about everything animal product in the world!!
With all that said, make sure you remember to put your abs under all types of stress, don’t lose hope if you don’t visibly see progress, and put more thought into eating more whole, plant foods so you can give yourself the best shot at getting a noticeable 6-pack.
I hope this post helped you with noticing some of the biggest roadblocks people experience when it comes to getting that “dream 6-pack”. If you need additional help, be sure to contact me and subscribe to this website with the form below and I’ll be more than happy to help you!